Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Keeping up with the times

People love trends.

#ThatHanselIsSoHotRightNow

Fifty billion high fives if you get that reference.

I can't judge though.  Sometimes at the car dealer or the dentist's office, I hang out after the appointment's over just so I can peruse a few issues of US Weekly.  I happen to enjoy learning what kind of nail polish Jennifer Aniston was recently spotted wearing. I mean would a girl who wears these shoes...

 ..be afraid of being viewed as a follower?  Nope.  #MetallicIsTheNewBlack

I've noticed that in the past few years, Greek yogurt has really become the trendy thing.  Greek yogurt is made with 4x the milk as regular yogurt, hence the extra thickness and protein.  At a recent trip to Target, I decided to buy five different brands to taste and compare nutrition stats.  All yogurts are blueberry flavored and all are 0% fat.


 I feel like Chobani was the first Greek yogurt to hit the shelves back in the day.  At 140 calories, 20 g sugar, and 14 g protein, it's very middle of the pack, nutritionally speaking.

Fage- pronounced "FAH-yeh".  Not impressed.  140 calories, 20 g sugar, and 14 g protein- same as the Chobani, but to me it tasted way too sweet.  I pitched it after a few bites.

Regular Fage blueberry.  Not sure how I feel about the add-your-own-fruit concept.  Nobody feels like a cool kid when they're sitting there trying to bend their plasticky yogurt container in half without spilling blueberry gunk all over.  Plus it was stingy with the berries- more like blueberry syrup than actual berries.  However, at 120 calories, 16 g sugar, 13 g protein, it was one of the better choices nutritionally.

Noosa Australian yoghurt.  Yes, they put an "h" in there.  How pretentious.  Nobody likes a silent "h."  Maybe I should start calling it yahg-hurt and tell everyone that it's the authentic way to pronounce it.  Talk about starting trends.  I have no idea what Australian yogurt- I mean yahg-hurt- is anyway but I chose to try it.  My major beef with this stuff is that it comes in a fairly small container, yet the nutrition label commands you to divide this into two servings.  Not practical.  150 calories (per serving), 20 g sugar, and only 5 g protein.  Maybe Australia is just known for their low protein yogurts.  Snark snark.

Liberte-plus-accent-over-the-e.  I don't know how to type that symbol.  So this MUST be French Greek yogurt, no?  This was actually my favorite tasting.  Not overly sweet with enough whole berries at the bottom.  130 calories, 16 g sugar, 11 g protein.

The bottom line is that most of the nonfat Greeks (and Australian) are fairly similar in nutrition, but sugar content varies.  When in doubt, always pick plain or vanilla and add your own actual fruit.  All of the fruit in these flavored varieties is essentially sugary syrup.

While I am now sick of blueberry yogurts, you can bet that I'll never be sick of my US Weekly.  Gotta go- heard that Kourtney Kardashian got bangs!





No comments:

Post a Comment