Monday, April 1, 2013

Easter Shortcomings

Easter is my second favorite holiday.  If I am a total spazz about Christmas, then I'm just a minor pest about Easter.  I love the special lilies, the pastel decor, and of course, the meaning of the holiday.

I always hope that I'll wake up on Easter to a brilliant sunrise and moderate temperatures.  But I live in Minnesota, and so no, yesterday was as cold and gross as ever. 

I thought that I would make some sunny-ish lemon scones for a festive breakfast.  Never tried making scones before.  Here's what *not* to do.
Here's me, going to town with my pastry cutter, all "Oooh look- I'm going to make some fancy-but-healthy-scones and everyone's gonna be jealous of my skills."  Except in the background lurks the very thing that would ruin this recipe. 
"Hmm, this looks maybe a little dry...but maybe this is how it's supposed to look."
"Ha HA!  I even have schmancy sugar- Fair Trade!- to top on my scones!  I am the best...person...ever."
"Uhhhhhhhh...really?  Tough wheaty vaguely-triangular bricks?"
"Ok let's try to save face here.  Maybe the lily will distract."
"Oooh look at the blueberry jelly!  And the cute monogram teacup!" 

Lesson learned- white whole wheat flour rules, but not with scones.  Clearly I still ate it because, well, apparently I enjoy eating tough wheaty bricks.  And also I had to hurry up and get ready for church.

Hope everyone had a beautiful Easter, regardless of weather, candy amounts, and breakfast foods. 







No comments:

Post a Comment