Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Buzzkill

It was my birthday last week.

Joy.

I'm of the age where I celebrate by wearing sweatpants and watching 3 hours of uninterrupted Bravo- not to be confused with my typical weeknight routine of wearing sweatpants and watching 2.5 hours of uninterrupted Bravo.

I thought I might want to celebrate another year older and an increasingly slower metabolism by having a slice of peanut butter cup pie from Baker's Square.  Now I am not a pie person...at all...but if it's chocolate, and peanut butter, and graham cracker crust, I dig it.  Too bad I took time to look up the nutrition facts at BS ahead of time. 

Whomp whomp!

730 calories.  In one slice.

I get that it's-mah-birthday-I-do-what-I-waunt!  But I do not feel like jogging seven miles to burn that off.

Six days later, I'm still craving that pie, so I did what any reasonable dietitian would do: try to make a lower-calorie version. 

 Peanut Butter Cup Pie
-1 pre-made reduced fat graham cracker crust
-1/2 cup chocolate chips
-1 teaspoon coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
-3/4 cup creamy peanut butter (ideally get natural PB)
-4 oz reduced fat cream cheese, room temp
-1/3 cup nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt
-1/2 cup powdered sugar
-1 teaspoon vanilla
-1 1/2 cups light Cool Whip 
-4 Reese's peanut butter cups, coarsely chopped

1. In a double boiler (medium pan filled with boiling water, with another smaller plan placed inside), melt chocolate chips with coconut oil until smooth.  Spread over crust.

Put crust in the freezer for chocolate to set up.

2. Meanwhile in a stand mixer, combine PB, cream cheese, sugar, yogurt, and vanilla.  Whip that up until it's nice and smooth.  Gently fold in Cool Whip. 

3. When chocolate is "set" spread PB fluff in the crust.  Top with chopped peanut butter cup bits.  Refrigerate for an hour or so, or until chilled.  Do your best to cut this into 8 pieces, instead of oh, my half/your half.


4. Go put on your sweatpants and enjoy some Real Housewives.
Per serving: 375 calories

No comments:

Post a Comment