Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Res-o-lutions

Haaaaappy New Year.

2013 will be kind of a difficult year for me, as I have a weird thing about disliking odd numbers.  I even made sure I was born on 4-4-84 as to exclusively exclude odd numbers. 

Ok so I'm half kidding here. 

I have to update and show my big Christmas present from last week:
A new Kitchen Aid stand mixer.  Mine all mine.  It's the kind where you can buy attachments to make pasta, grind meats, slice veggies, make juice, etc.  Awesome.  The inaugural recipe was chocolate banana muffins, which I will post later.

In terms of the resolutions, I've considered one of two things.  Either doing the stereotypical "get-more-fit-eat-better-save-more-money-floss-my-teeth-more-often", or the equally stereotypical "I'm-happy-the-way-I-am-and-I-don't-need-to-resolve-anything."

Hmm.  Neither.  I want to get better at pull ups and get the official Everyday Dietitian website up and running.  And eat more vegetables.

Shrimp & Veggie Primavera
1/2 box whole wheat thin spaghetti
1 head of broccoli, chopped into bite-size chunks
2 peppers, chopped
1 small yellow onion, chopped
2 cups baby carrots, sliced in half lengthwise
8 oz cooked medium shrimp, tails removed
8 oz reduced fat cream cheese
2 3/4 cups skim milk
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup butter spread
1/2 teaspoon jarred garlic
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Pepper

1. Bring a large pot of water to boil and add pasta.
2. Meanwhile in a smaller saucepan, whisk together 2 cups milk, flour, and butter and heat over medium-high.  Stir until thickened and bubbly.  Turn heat to low.  Add remaining 3/4 cup milk, cream cheese and jarred garlic.  Whisk until smooth.
3. Set both cooked pasta and sauce aside.  In a large shallow pan, heat 3/4 cup water to boiling.
 Add vegetables and cover- let the steam cook them (about 8-10 minutes). 
Remove cover and let any remaining water boil off.  Add shrimp and garlic powder and pepper to taste.

4. Add sauce and veggies to pasta pot and stir until coated.
Makes 5 servings.  Per serving: 400 calories, 49 g carbs, 14 g fat, 25 g protein.

With this dinner, the new year is off to a great start, even though it is an all-odd-numbers date...


No comments:

Post a Comment