Thursday, April 26, 2012

Vacation Recap

I'm back from Nicaragua, and I can say that it was nothing like I thought it would be.

Ahead of the trip I was a bit nervous actually, fearing it would be unsafe, buggy, and food poisoning would be constant. 

Happily none of that was true and we had a great trip.  Our recent trip to Mexico was pretty lazy, and this trip was the opposite.  We did everything from surfing, paddleboarding, zip lining, hiking through the jungle (and encountering many monkeys), and swimming in a former volcano crater. 
This is the view from the balcony of our rental house.  We stayed in San Juan Del Sur, a little beach town.  Up on the hill in the distance is a large statue of Christ.  Fittingly, on Sunday morning we took a walk up to visit him. 

Awkwardly posing on the beach. 

This is the main street in San Juan.  We found a taco stand that had awesome tacos and quesadillas for under a dollar (equivalent). 

We found a bakery in town (actually run by a guy from Chicago) that had amazing mango bread.  We bought a pineapple and some bananas from the market.  Best fruit we've ever had.  And I miiiiiight have washed it off with soap and water just to make sure it was clean.
We spent one day in Granada, one of Central America's oldest cities- built in the 1700's.  This is a cafe in the town square.

Guava juice.  I'd never had it.  Now I want more of it.  Of course it probably costs ten times more to buy here than it did down there.  Guava juice is one of the main ingredients in:

El Macua is the official bird of Nicaragua, and this drink shares its name.  Our tour guide suggested we try this.  Delicious.  I'm going to want to drink this all summer long.  Screw cigars- I should've brought back guava juice with me. 

This is "tipico"- typical Nicaraguan breakfast, minus the black beans and rice.  You can see the little sausage here- it is more like a tiny hot dog.  Not something I usually include with my breakfast, but hey, when on vacation...

Beautiful endings to our fun-filled days. 

Now, who's going to go find me some guava juice? 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment