Thursday, April 12, 2012

Baking in circles

I get that most crafty gals nowadays are making cute decorative wreaths for their home.  I've even seen pictures of a wreath made of Peeps
I say stop it.

Crafty people and Pinterest are making me feel inadequate.

I don't own a hot glue gun.  I have no scalloped-edge scissors.  The only stamp I own is one with our address. 

So in part protest, part joining-the-bandwagon, here's an edible wreath.  Dinner beats out decorations in this house. 

Broccoli Chicken Wreath
2 4.5-oz cans white meat chicken
1 cup finely shredded Cheddar cheese
2 cups fresh broccoli, chopped into smallish chunks
4 oz Neufchatel (lowfat) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
3 packages of crescent rolls

1. Using a hand mixer, blend yogurt and cream cheese and 1/2 teaspoon jarred garlic until smooth.  Stir in broccoli, onion, chicken, and cheese.  Season with a bit of pepper. 
2. Open up one tube of crescents and peel apart each individual triangle.  Arrange the triangles in a sun pattern, so that a little corner of each base overlaps with its neighbor.
3. Using a rolling pin, flatten the crescents, stretching them out a bit.
4.  Place a ring of filling on top of the crescents, and wrap each triangle tip around the filling.  When you're finished with the last triangle, use a fork to crimp the inside edges together (so it doesn't come off while baking.
5. Repeat with the remaining crescents, or until the filling's used up (I tend to make double batches of filling and freeze for later).

This is where I wish I would've taken more pictures to explain.

5. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes, or until nicely browned. 





Each wreath makes 4 servings.

Per serving: 250 calories, 24 g carbs, 13 g fat, 11 g protein.

I suppose I could let this sit on the counter for a few days, harden up, then hang on my door.  People would be all "oooh, she used broccoli in place of flowers!"  Or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment