Sunday, December 23, 2018

'Twas the penultimate night before Christmas...

Yeah not only does that *not* have a ring to it, you can tell I was a total nerd who studied hard-core for the ACT.




Around here we've been packing in a lot of Christmas festivities.


Family brunch with Santa. Not pictured: Santa. Also not pictured: family.


While 3 out of 4 kids take a late afternoon car nap, we cruise around and look for lights.


Even excavators need a sip of hot cocoa. 



His new obsession is baking bread. Er, bread-like substance. Brick, really. But he's proud, and flour is less than $2 a bag, so...I roll with it.


I swear we ate more than just lefse and drank more than just...hmm...


My annual Christmas game prize. Winner winner, vodka with dinner?





In the midst of holiday parties and family gatherings, one thing that's been on my mind is how our mindset regarding food can so easily change. Are any of these thoughts familiar?

Well I only eat [whatever] this time of year, so might as get my fill!

I exercised yesterday so I probably have extra calories I can eat to compensate.

It's my favorite treat and I haven't had it in so long!

It's a party so of course I should have a few drinks.

Dang this dietitian is annoying- I should stop reading her blog. No one wants a lecture.

Gah hopefully that last one's not familiar, eh?

The average person gains 2.2 lbs over the holidays, and for most, that weight is never taken off. Imagine how this can snowball (no pun intended) over the course of 5, 10, 20 years.

A major point of counseling I did with many patients is practicing a particular scenario in your head in advance. For example, how might you react if the host offers to fill your plate? A nice offer, sure, but I recommend that we always serve ourselves- no one else knows your hunger level! Start reasonable- you can always go back for more if needed.

How might you react if desserts are laid out and nosy aunt so-and-so insists that you have one of her brownies? It may seem cheesy, but think of a line. I would recommend something like "Oh you are so sweet! They do look great- I'll be sure to grab one before I go." Do you need to then follow that up? Nnnnnnnope. When people are being food pushers, they really are seeking the compliment. If the person is still pushy, divert! "Where did you find the recipe?" "I never know what kind of chocolate is the best to use in baking. What do you use?"

Keep in mind what is truly going to be satisfying. When humans are presented with a variety of options, we naturally overdo it because we go into sampler mode. If there's a huge variety platter of cookies, I know that it's the peanut butter blossom that I'll enjoy  most. Is a second one even more delicious? Nope. A third one? Forget it. When it comes to the treats, pick the one that you can savor.

You know how the Alcoholics Anonymous program uses a sponsor? Do the same! Have a confidant who will help you navigate a holiday situation the way you intend. I love it when my husband brings me a glass of water- it reminds me that I haven't been sipping the way I usually would be doing at home, and to be honest, keeps me from having the second glass of wine I don't really need.

By no means am I saying we should spend the Christmas meal gnawing on celery, but, good intentions can often go out the window. Here's to having good intentions AND the follow through for a pleasant and enjoyable meal.

I hope everyone has a merry Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment