Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Avoca-d'oh!

My big accomplishment so far this week? Finishing the babies' room. 

The decor I did five years ago- before we'd even started the IVF process- was a stencil I lovingly referred to as BIRDS BIRDS BIRDS!



As much as I love the sunny and busy BIRDS BIRDS BIRDS I figured a change is due. And YES I went with what is apparently known to the internet as "millennial pink." 






This ceramic lamb was handmade by my super crafty great Grandma DenBoer when I was born. How sweet is that?


One giant thing off our checklist. And yes, I totally get that BABIES DO NOT CARE about decor, but shoot, I thiiiiiiiink I might be spending a lot of time in this room over the next few weeks...months...YEARS. 

In food news, going through my pantry today led me to discover three overripe avocados I'd *meant* to add to the corn salad I made two nights ago. When life gives you overripe avocados, you can pretty much go ahead and make chocolate chip quick bread. Say whaaaaa?

Dark Chocolate Bread
-3 ripe/overripe avocados (should have browned outer skin and be slightly soft to the touch), skin and pits removed
-1 cup white sugar
-3 eggs
-1 teaspoon vanilla
-2 1/2 cups white or white whole grain flour
-1/2 cup dark cocoa powder (could sub regular cocoa powder)
-1 teaspoon baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
-1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional but I sure did)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9x5 loaf pan with nonstick baking spray. 

In a large bowl, beat avocados until smooth-ish. Beat in sugar, and then eggs. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients (except for chips). Blend in dry ingredients to avocado mixture. Stir in chips if using. Spread batter evenly in the loaf pan and bake 60-70 minutes, or until knife inserted in the middle comes out cleanly. 








Makes 12 super rich slices. Per slice: 230 calories. This definitely falls into the category of a treat, but it's a good way to use up avocados and sub in heart healthy fats instead of the usual butter or vegetable oil that these types of recipes often call for. 

I may just go enjoy a slice in "my" new room!

No comments:

Post a Comment