Thursday, December 14, 2017

Spices 'n' tunes


Haaaaaaaappy birthday!!

Name that movie!

Er…

…name that kids’ holiday movie with an animated pipe-smokin’ main character!



Are you into Christmas movies? Music? Décor? What gets your jingle bells jolly this time of year?

I’m all for the music, as I’ve referenced before. Let’s do some tunes and some recipes, shall we?

My Favorite Christmas Tunes
1. Coldplay’s cover of 2000 Miles- makes me want to re-learn piano
2. Pentatonix- That’s Christmas to me. Ahhh, harmonies.
3. Stevie Wonder and Andra Day- Someday at Christmas
4. Stevie Wonder- What Christmas means to me
5. Chuck Berry- Run run Rudolph- I can’t *not* picture the McCallisters sprinting through O’Hare airport.
6. John Williams- Somewhere in my memory- and the snow falling! And the old man who turns out to NOT be creepy!
7. Sarah McLachlan- Have yourself a merry little Christmas- dreamy
8. Sarah McLachlan- Song for a winter’s night- dreamy
9. Sarah McLachlan- O little town of Bethlehem- dreamy
10. You should probably just buy Sarah McLachlan’s “Wintersong” album. It’s so mellow and chill and pretty.
11. Josh Groban- O holy night. Because Josh Groban is the nerdiest bestest singer ever.
12. Mairi Campbell- Auld Lang Syne. This is from the Sex and the City movie soundtrack. This song totally takes me back to a pre-Christmas evening years ago when my friends (hi Mariahs!) and I gathered to watch SATC. The scene where SJP dashes over to Miranda’s to comfort her on NYE? SO good.

Eclectic? Yes. Festive? Yes. On repeat in my kitchen as I cook Sunday dinner? You bet.

I’ve been in the groove of doing “big” Sunday dinners- ie roasted meat, veggie, some sort of starchy side dish. This past weekend it was roasted split chicken breasts. It can be a little confusing to try and figure out how to season poultry. I like making a blend and keeping it in a mixed bottle (just reuse an old spice bottle).

Go-to Meat Seasoning Blend (GMSB?)
-2 tablespoons salt
-2 tablespoons ground black pepper
-1 tablespoon garlic powder
-2 teaspoons allspice
-1 teaspoon cinnamon
-1 teaspoon ground cloves
-1 teaspoon ground ginger


For our veggie this past weekend, I took some frozen green beans and jazzed them up. Takes less than 10 min and they turn out WAY more flavorful than plain-from-the-bag.

Garlicky Almond Green Beans
-2 bags steamable green beans
-1 tablespoon olive oil
-1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
-1 tablespoon slivered almonds
-1 tablespoon goat cheese (optional)

Microwave the green beans according to package directions. Meanwhile over medium high heat, heat a large saute pan with olive oil. Add garlic. Stir around and let sizzle for a minute or two. Add slivered almonds. Stir around to lightly toast. Add cooked green beans. Top with crumbled goat cheese. Makes 4 generous servings.





I'll be back again somedaaaaaaay!

No comments:

Post a Comment