Friday, December 1, 2017

It all hinges upon the push of a button

It’s no secret that I loooooves me some slow cooker recipes. What I don’t loooooooves is when I forget to get everything assembled in the slow cooker ahead of time.

I guess the ultimate worst is when you DO remember to put everything in, but forget to actually turn on the dang thing, and then you leave for work all day. Not that I know what that’s like. Argh.

Anyway last weekend I found myself in the former situation- I had planned on making shredded pork bowls for supper but neglected to get the pork going. I’m a fan of slow cooker pork because I’ve found that’s the only way I know to get the lean pork loin tender and shreddable.  WHAM BAM UNTIL NOW!

Chipotle Shredded Pork
-2 teaspoons vegetable oil
-1 ~2lb lean pork loin
-1 32 oz box low sodium broth (I used vegetable but chicken would also work fine)
-1 can chipotle peppers packed in adobo sauce
-1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Heat oven to 350 degrees. On the stovetop heat a Dutch oven or other lidded oven-proof pot over medium-high heat. Add vegetable oil- let heat for a minute- then add pork loin. It’ll sizzle big time. Using a tongs, flip the pork loin every minute or so until all sides have been nicely browned. Pour in box of broth, ground pepper, and ~4-5 of the chipotle peppers and a spoonful or two of the adobo sauce. Heat to boiling. Cover, and transfer to the oven. Cook in the oven for ~45 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 145 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove from oven, put pork on a cutting board. Use two forks and shred that meat. Return to Dutch oven and cover until ready to serve. Note- I didn’t serve this WITH the chipotles- I used them to infuse spicy smoky flavor into the pork.








You could use this pork for tacos, burritos, a Mexi-bowl (like I did, pictured above) or freeze for future use. Makes about 4 cups shredded pork. Per cup = 270 calories, 10 g fat (much lower than pork butt and other other cuts).

Next time I’ll have to try this with chicken. Sorry slow cooker- you have an on-par substitute on your heels.

No comments:

Post a Comment