Thursday, February 9, 2017

Still not dead

Well the good news is that I’m still not dead. 

But that doesn’t mean I’m 100% alive either. I find myself crashing in bed as soon as the boys go to sleep. 

That would be, ahem, 7:45. I’ll eventually get better, right??

Thank goodness for easy slow cooker meals. This was a recipe I’d found a few months ago and just never got around to trying. I ended up really digging it, as did my husband and the boys, so I think this one will get in the rotation.

Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken Stew
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced (or sub ½ teaspoon jarred minced garlic)
5 large carrots, peeled and cut into ~1/2 inch chunks
5 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ~1/2 inch chunks
1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
2 lbs skinless boneless chicken breasts or thighs (no need to cut these- just put them in whole)
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon turmeric
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon (sounds weird, but do it!)
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried parsley
½ teaspoon salt

Dump all this stuff in the slow cooker and give it a good stir to combine. Set it on low for 7 hours.
I ended up making some basmati rice to go along with this, but it could definitely be hearty enough on its own. The combination of seasonings is unique but works well. This is awesome kid-friendly food too- great way to sneak in some veggies!



Makes six servings. Per serving: 304 calories, 33 g carbs, 2 g fat, 35 g protein. If served with ½ cup rice, add 100 kcal and 22 g carbs.

Now that I’ve shared this recipe with you, it’s 8pm, and high past my bedtime : )

No comments:

Post a Comment