Friday, May 30, 2014

Let's skip the pleasantries and get down to business

Babies are so rude.

Or maybe just my baby is rude.

What I would like is a polite little sniffle of a cry:

"Ahem! Oh hello there- lovely mother, I know you are doing the best you can- and you simply are doing a wonderful job- but is there any way you might be able to expedite my bottle?  I am starting to feel a twinge hungry."

Instead what I get is:


A cry that makes your toes curl and your eardrums recess further towards your brain.

(Sidenote: I can only hope that his first sentence will be the aforementioned.  Even more awesome if it British-y sounding)

*Sigh*

While I engage in a temporary moment of silence, here's a recipe that I made up last week.

Faux-lafels makes 6
2 cans chickpeas (garbanzos), drained and rinsed (I only had one can chickpeas so I used cannelini beans for the 2nd can- same deal)
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons all purpose flour (whole wheat could work too)
2 eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon olive oil
Olive oil spray or other nonstick baking spray

1. Place beans, parsley, garlic, cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, and baking soda in a food processor.  Work in batches (took me 3) to process until coarsely pureed.  Mix bean mixture and green onions together in a bowl.  Stir in the flour and egg.  Shape mixture into six patties and let stand for 10 minutes.

2. Heat oven to 400 degrees.  In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil. Add patties, frying until golden brown- about 3 minutes on each side.

3. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray (or, if your skillet happens to be oven safe, just use that). Transfer patties to sheet and bake for about 10 minutes.

4. Serve on a pita with tzatziki sauce and mixed greens.

Easy Tzatziki
1 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
1/2 cucumber, shredded and pressed with paper towels to absorb excess moisture
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic

Combine all ingredients.  Ideally let this chill in the fridge for at least an hour.




Per pita: 330 calories, 58 g carbs, 8 g fat, 15 g protein, 13 g fiber

No comments:

Post a Comment