Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Q&A



Q: What’s *not* the best way to knock the garage light off the wall?

A: With your head.

I had a dumb accident last night.  I blame the ice.  I blame the sharpness of the metal & glass.  I blame my traction-less (but super cute) sequin Uggs.  This is just further evidence that helmets need to become mainstream as fashionable headwear. 

Consequently, I have a staple in my head.  Just one metal staple.  If I were Ke$ha I would add a few more dozen, plus glitter. 


I will admit that I have totally been slacking when it comes to my diet.  It’s really easy to not eat vegetables.  It’s easy to be lazy and procrastinate.  Remember a few months ago when I made fun of my husband for never eating his apple?  I’ve had the same baggie of carrots in my lunch for almost a week straight.  Am I waiting for them to get mushy and fuzzy? 

I subscribe to “Real Simple” magazine, which I’m pretty sure makes me a mature and responsible adult (goodbye, Cosmo!).  In the February issue they highlight green veggies- you know, the ones we are most frightened of.  I figured I would try some of these smoothie recipes.  I’m usually anti-smoothie because I believe you should eat your food.  Buuuuut clearly that hasn’t been happening, so I will endorse plan B: liquefied greens.  With fruit.

Each recipe makes 2 servings and has 140-200 kcal, 5 grams fiber, plus 200% of your daily needs of vitamins A and C.

Collard greens smoothie with mango & lime
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 cups stemmed and chopped collard greens (or spinach)
1 ½ cups frozen mango
1 cup green grapes

Combine the lime juice, ½ cup water, collard greens, mango, and grapes in a blender and puree until smooth, about 1 minute, adding more water to reach the desired consistency.

Spinach smoothie with avocado and apple
1 cup apple juice + ½ cup water
2 cups stemmed and chopped spinach (or kale)
1 apple- unpeeled, cored, and chopped
½ avocado, chopped
Combine the apple juice, spinach, apple, and avocado in a blender and puree until smooth, about 1 minute, adding water to reach the desired consistency.

Kale smoothie with pineapple and banana
 ½ cup almond milk (or coconut milk)
2 cups stemmed and chopped kale (or spinach)
1 ½ cups chopped pineapple
1 ripe medium banana, chopped

 Combine the milk, ½ cup water, kale, pineapple, and banana in a blender and puree until smooth, about 1 minute, adding more water to reach the desired consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment