Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Cheap Eats/Things Minnesotans Make Up For Dinner

Last night we met with a financial planner.

Barf.

What's fun about saving money?  Nothing.  I like having stuff.  My attic-turned-walk-in-closet can attest to that.  Did you know that *two* items I own were once featured in "US Weekly" as Items to Have! section?  Oh yes.  My stuff is a very big deal.

By that same token, I am not stupid.  I've had a budget.  It's very skewed towards shopping rather than saving, but still, I have no debt.  And for our future house, cars, kids, pets, etc., we plan on keeping things in check.

Reality.  *Sigh*

I suppose I can help keep us on the right track with savings by preparing cheap, easy, healthy-enough meals like this turkey cheeseburger pie.   

Turkey Cheeseburger Pie
  • 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
  • 1 small yellow onion, diced
  • 1 cup wheat baking mix (I had "wheat blends" Hungry Jack)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup skim milk
  • 1 cup reduced fat shredded Cheddar
  • 1/4 teaspoon Lowry's seasoned salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon allspice

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Saute turkey and onions together, and cook until turkey is no longer pink.  Soak up extra fat if necessary.  Season with salt, pepper, and allspice.
2. Coat a casserole dish with nonstick spray and dump in meat mixture.  Sprinkle cheese evenly on top.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and add baking mix, until well combined.  Pour over cheese/meat.
4. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the topping is deep golden brown.






I give myself the usual F- for food presentation.  This recipe is pretty basic- you could certainly make it fancier by adding hot sauce, chopped tomatoes, pickles, olives, salsa, etc.  I kept it plain.  This Minnesotan doesn't get too funky.

Makes six servings.  Per serving: 230 calories, 12 g carbs, 6 g fat, 30 g protein.

This totally means I can go buy a new Coach handbag, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment