Friday, May 3, 2019

Caffeine FAQs

Never ever was I a coffee drinker.

Tea? Sure, but even then I tend to choose decaf.

Thennnnnn I had twins and became a stay at home mom to four kids age four and under.

Caffeine became desirable.

Caffeine became necessary.

Caffeine became my friend.

I'm no Lorelei Gilmore by any means...


...but that morning cup is a BIG DEAL.

When I was a clinical dietitian I would frequently get asked "Is coffee okay for me?"

Now. There is a big difference between one cup (we're talking 8 ounces) of black coffee, and a venti (24 ounce) iced white chocolate latte with whip. 560-calories-kind-of-big-difference.

Coffee itself has zero calories, so in that aspect it doesn't promote weight gain (or weight loss really). Many people are curious about the caffeine aspect of coffee, tea, and energy drinks. Dietitians tend to preach that caffeine has a dehydrating effect and that is why it should be limited (ahem, and I do too). So what does the research say?

Scientists have determined that generally 6 milligrams of caffeine per kilogram of body weight is considered to not have a negative effect on hydration. I'll do the math for you here- a 150 pound person could have 408 milligrams per day before having to compensate with water. That 8 oz cup of coffee I keep referencing has about 95 milligrams.

That's good news for people like me who like a tall Yeti of coffee each morning! Unless you're drinking 4+ cups (or 36 ounces), you are not at risk for the dehydrating effect of caffeine.

Of course continue to steer clear of the added sugar and calories that come with coffee shop drinks. I give you a free pass on caffeine, but not on sugar!

No comments:

Post a Comment