Thursday, January 11, 2018

Quick Eats

I bet if I did a post about gingerbread men, sugar cookies, or peanut butter blossoms you'd want to punch me where it hurts.

I mean, I can't be the only one who grows SO TIRED OF SWEETS during the holidays.

Image result for gingerbread man barfing

Now that we're in the new year I've been focusing on trying to have more veggies. Yes, for a dietitian, I'm not all that great at getting in produce (fruit included). One of my favorite meals for spring/summer/fall/winter is bruschetta pasta. Yeah we got some pasta here but it's a super balanced meal with the 2+ servings of veggies that go along with it and a heap of lean protein.

Bruschetta Pasta
-1 box whole wheat rotini or penne
-1 tablespoon olive oil
-1 teaspoon minced garlic
-4 cups cooked chicken, cut/torn into smallish pieces (often I'll use rotisserie chicken or chicken I've roasted and frozen)
-2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
-4 cups (or more!) fresh baby spinach
-2 pints cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
-8 oz fresh mozzarella, cut into smallish pieces
-1-2 teaspoons fresh basil paste (or could sub 4-5 fresh basil leaves, minced) I only bought the basil paste because the grocery store did not have fresh basil. 
-Pinch of salt and pepper each

Get your water boiling in a large stockpot. Meanwhile in another large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and stir constantly, getting it to golden brown. Add cooked chicken and stir. Add balsamic vinegar and spinach. Cover and remove from heat.

Cook pasta to package directions. Drain when done and add to spinach mixture. Stir in tomatoes, mozzarella, basil paste, salt and pepper. Serve warm or cold.






Recipe makes 6 servings. Per serving: 370 calories, 34 grams carbs, 11 grams fat, 30 grams protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment