Sunday, March 19, 2017

Necessity is the mother of…hot chocolate cake.


I’m three weeks deep into half marathon training. It has been kind of a rough start. 

5 am running. Not fun.

0 degree temperatures. Not fun.

Starting your day with a nice dose of endorphins? Pretty nice.

Now I’m getting back into the groove of feeling like a runner. The only downside I’ve noticed is that I’m pretty much infinity times more hungry during the day and evening. Makes sense right? I’m burning more calories so my body wants to recoup those calories through food.

Too bad that the food I’m craving is chocolately carby cakey deliciousness.

I know better than to keep cake laying around- it would only end one way- in my stomach. Some cake every now and then though is A-OK, so last night I whipped up an individual microwave cake. I used, yep, you guessed it- hot chocolate. This cake was all about the shortcuts.

Single Serve Hot Chocolate Cake
-2 teaspoons tub margarine spread
-1/2 beaten egg
-1 teaspoon white sugar
-1/2 packet hot chocolate (preferably the kind with mini marshmallows)
-1 ½ tablespoons all purpose flour

In a microwavable ramekin or mug, melt the margarine spread. Let cool for a minute or two. Stir in the half egg and the white sugar. Next add the  hot chocolate mix and the flour. Stir until combined. Microwave for ~45 seconds. Cake will be puffy and springy to the touch. Let cool for a minute before digging in.






Not only is this super fast and super satisfying, but it’s only 200 calories. Aaaaaaand portion controlled.

No comments:

Post a Comment