Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Stereotypes do apply

There is justifiably a stigma that’s attached to being a dietitian. Not saying that’s a bad thing, but trust me- my coworkers scrutinize my meals and my food habits. I don’t mind though- it keeps me accountable! I do my best to work on the very things on which I counsel my patients.

To that extent, here’s a list of 5 non-food habits almost all dietitians have in common.

1.       Dietitians drink their water. And more water. And just a little bit more water. Yes, diet pop does not have calories, and you could make a coffee drink with fat free creamer and artificial sweetener, but what exactly then are we putting into our bodies? You’ve heard it before and yes it’s cliché- our blood volume is predominantly water- not diet Coke- so we need to supply our body with what it actually needs. Don’t force your gut and kidneys to filter out all the stuff we don’t need.



2.       Dietitians get in their steps. Did you know that your metabolism slows down after one hour of sitting? It can be so tempting to veg out and Netflix at night to relax, but be mindful of how much time you spend sitting. An activity tracker like FitBit can help you stay on top of how active you are in your day to day lifestyle. If you don’t have time to hit the gym, get in the habit of carving out pockets of your day to get in extra steps.



3.       Dietitians take their supplements. It’s important to work with your primary care provider about what supplements you truly need. For myself, I’m not much of a dairy consumer- I don’t drink milk or eat yogurt consistently, so I know I need additional calcium. If you live in a northern climate like I do, you may need extra vitamin D. Resist the urge to go too gung-ho with supplements- you don’t want to waste money on expensive things you may not even need. Just ask your doctor for some blood work to check what you need.



4.       Dietitians schedule schedule schedule. I would say the average dietitian is pretty type A, and I’m no exception, as evidence by me making a bulleted list. I explain this to my patients often- when you have a baby, toddler, or even a dog- you have them on a schedule. Humans naturally do well on schedules- mealtimes, sleep times, exercise times, etc. Yeah it might be fun if a happy hour invitation pops up, but knowing that you’ll ultimately feel better if you stick to the gym ‘n’ grocery shopping routine you have scheduled makes it worth declining.

5.       Dietitians get their sleep. Show me the person who makes smart food choices in the midst of sleep deprivation. I have worked with countless patients who are stuck in the rut of poor sleep-poor food choices- poor sleep. It’s a tough cycle. 7+ hours of sleep is not a luxury- it’s a necessity. If you are getting the right amount of sleep but aren’t feeling well rested, talk to your primary care about possible sleep disorders.  



There's obviously no such thing as perfect health, but it's a reminder that are so many things in addition to what you put in your body that can affect your overall well-being!

No comments:

Post a Comment