Tuesday, November 8, 2016

No election talk here

My friend Shanna and I talk about how it would be great if we could find a way to get paid to look at cute stuff and make good food all day.





Yeah, some talk about how to bring about world peace.

I whine about how I want everything at Nordstrom.



*Sigh*

I’ve been on a meal prep kick this week. I attribute this to baby Fred, whom we’ve been putting to bed early. I find myself with…time…

This is a meal that comes together easily but just takes some time in the oven. Bake all the components the night prior and it comes together quickly for dinner.

Turkey-stuffed Acorn Squash
1 lb marinated turkey breast (I cooked a 2 lb breast and will freeze half for future use)
1 bag fresh Brussels sprouts, stems cut off and quartered- yields ~3 cups before cooking
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 acorn squash, halved*
1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix, plus 1 egg and 1/3 cup milk
½ cup chopped walnuts
1 can low sodium chicken broth
Salt and pepper



Order of operations here: 
-Turkey will take the longest so get that in a baking dish and cook away, uncovered, at 350 for ~60 minutes. Internal temp must reach 165 in order for it to be done.
-Meeeeeeanwhiiiiiiiile- acorn squash will take 2nd longest. I like to pre-cook mine so that I don’t have to hack so hard when cutting them. Using a fork, poke a few holes in the skin and microwave 2 minutes. You should be able to cut in half much more easily. I cut mine in half lengthwise. Scoop out seedy guts and brush with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle a small amount of salt and pepper on each half and bake for ~45 minutes, or until golden and tender.
-Nowwwwwww Brussels sprouts: toss with remaining tablespoon olive oil and another pinch of salt and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet and bake ~25 minutes. You will want to stir these every 10 minutes or so to ensure even cooking.
-Laaaaaastly go ahead and make your corn muffin mix. Only instead of making muffins, just use whatever small baking pan you’d like. I used a loaf pan. Bake until knife inserted comes out clean. Mine took ~17 minutes.

When all this is done, you could shove in the fridge and save for later.

To assemble: combine turkey, Brussels sprouts, cornbread, chopped walnuts, and broth in a large bowl. Cornbread will easily crumble apart. Pour can of broth over mixture. Fill each acorn half heaping full with stuffing. Bake at 350 for ~20 minutes, or until thoroughly heated. 




Per acorn half: 476 calories, 46 g carbs, 16 g fat, 21 g protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment