Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Another weekend, another trip

Last weekend we went on vacation.

Again.

But only for 36 hours.

But yes I am spoiled with my fun travels.

Maternity leave did me no good in that I had time to sit and putz online looking for cheap fares here, there, anywhere, all while a snoozing Fred slept in my lap. I had found flights to Chicago for $75! How could we NOT? Plus my husband’s dearly beloved Cubs were set to play the last game of the regular season. Did not take much convincing from him.



We arrived late on Friday and went straight to Portillo’s. Italian beef sandwiches + Chicago dogs.




Saturday morning we headed over to Wicker Park to meet my college friend for breakfast at The Bongo Room. This place did not suck. Ha. My order of banana butterscotch budino pancakes was amazing.

I sampled a taste of her berry cheesecake pancakes. Also not sucky. And my husband’s BLT benedict? Really not sucky.



Then we walked 152 miles to burn off this awesome meal. Not really. Took the train to Wrigleyville to catch the game.






Afterwards we met up with Marcus’s cousin and her husband for a drink. It was a beautiful afternoon for a rooftop beer.

Headed back to downtown to get ready for dinner at…wait for it…RPM Italian!



OK so I love Giuliana and Bill and used to watch their show allllllll the time. RPM is a restaurant they co-founded and it legit has great reviews (yes, I am an obsessive Yelp-er).



Sidenote- I win so hard at thrifting it's not even fair. I got this $400 dress at Goodwill for five bucks this past summer. Since we were getting all fancy-dressed-up for dinner, I stopped at Nordstrom to have my makeup done. Cheap of me? Absolutely. Genius? I think so.

He used spray paint foundation on me. I don’t know if I should be offended, or amazed.

Our meal did not disappoint. For starters we ordered prime beef meatballs and a lobster Caprese.


Our entrees were a pappardelle Bolognese, and another pasta dish that contained pork cheeks. It had other stuff too, but when the waiter’s describing it, all that stuck was PORK CHEEKS.



Dessert was “Bomboloni” which is Italian for “pre diabetes.” It was fried brioche donuts with vanilla sugar and a Nutella + vanilla cream sauce to dip. They were warm pillows of sugary goodness. Do not regret.



Then we walked 379 miles to burn off that awesome meal. Not really.




Headed back home early in the a.m.  I love flying through O'Hare- reminds me of "Home Alone." My husband did not want to dash to our gate while I played "Run run Rudolph" on my phone. No fun.








A great weekend with great friends and family- now it's back to work, and back to salads for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment