Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Things that taste better than they look

I am well aware that when I plan meals or think of recipes, I try to find the common denominator between cheap, easy, yet nutritious. I’ve came up with a winner, but be warned- it kinda sorta maybe looks like something your dog regurgitated. ON THAT NOTE…
 
In early pregnancy when I was feeling like, well, dog regurgitation, I would hit up the hospital cafeteria for most of my lunches. One of the dishes in their rotation is a creamy Spanish rice and tomato stuffed chicken breast. It always was pretty good. I figured why not try and recreate it? Only stuffed chicken is more work than I want to do. Cooking the chicken and rice side by side makes it 283% less fancy and pretty, but it tastes exactly the same.
And the bonus? It cooks in just one pot.
 
One Pot Cheesy Chicken and Rice (makes 4 servings)
2 cans diced tomatoes + chiles (such as Ro-Tel)
8 oz block Neufchatel cream cheese, cut into 1” cubes
2 cups instant brown rice
3 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 lb chicken breasts, pounded to ½-1” thickness (I cut mine into 4 4-oz pieces, just to make for easier serving and leftovers packaging)
Pinches of pepper and cumin, to taste
 
In a large Dutch oven or oven-proof pot, heat up diced tomatoes with cream cheese. Stir over medium heat until cream cheese has melted. Add rice and brown. Stir for a minute to combine. Add raw chicken. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Dish is done when internal temp of chicken registers 165 degrees. Serve one chicken breast with 1-2 scoops of rice mixture.


 
Now THAT’S the kind of photography you missed during my absence, right?
 
Per serving (4 oz chicken + 1 1/2 cups rice mixture) is 404 calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment