Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Things that sometimes sound more appealing than they actually are, and things that live up to expectations.

Nice title, huh?

So I kind of love Oprah and all she stands for, especially the whole telling-me-what-I-should-be-buying-and-reading-and-doing-with-my-life type stuff.

Remember when she used to do her annual Christmas show and everyone got a whole semi-truck full of things like face creams, Uggs boots, diamond-crusted eReaders, and cashmere underwear?

Aaaaaaand YOU get a car!  YOU get a car! EVERYBODY GETS A CAR!!!

I am sure that more than one post-menopausal lady needed to change outta her cashmere underwear by the end of that show.

So it's no car, but I remembered that one of the items on her giveaway list was a set of  Sarabeth's jams. Back in December I figured this would make a nice gift for my parents. Both gave it good reviews-
which is a good thing because THIS STUFF COSTS $500!  SMUCKERS TIMES INFINITY!

Ok I exaggerate a bit, but this stuff ain't cheap.

I love the idea of making jam.  Jam for my toast.  Jam for my pancakes.  Jam for...my spoon?
But I've never cared enough to try making it.  You have to add things like pectin and get temperatures right and use special jars.  Alllllll the jars.

When I found a recipe for a jar-less pectin-less jam, I thought that this is more my style.

Homemade Strawberry Chia Jam
1 bag (12 oz) frozen unsweetened strawberries
2 tablespoon agave nectar (can sub out honey or even regular white sugar)
1 tablespoon chia seeds (yes, as in ch-ch-ch-chia!)

In a small saucepan over medium heat, heat strawberries until totally thawed.  Bust out your potato masher or a fork to smush them up nicely.  Stir in sweetener and chia seeds.  Reduce heat to low.  Stir until thickened- about 5 minutes.  The chia seeds act as a thickener and give this a boost of heart healthy fats.

Remove from heat and refrigerate until fully thickened.  Makes about 1 cup of jam.

Now I feel like I need to experiment with other types of fruits.  Blueberries?  Mango-peach?

Thanks Oprah, but I don't need your schmancy jams.  Although I still wouldn't mind a car.  Or those cashmere undies. 





No comments:

Post a Comment