Thursday, September 5, 2013

Bon Anniversaire

Ok actually that translates to "happy birthday."  I've lost what little French skillz I ever had.

This past Labor Day weekend my husband and I celebrated our second anniversary.  Tip to those who haven't yet gotten married- set the date for a holiday weekend.  Then instead of having one measly dinner on a Wednesday, you can worm your way into celebrating a looooooong weekend.

We took an overnight trip down to Lanesboro, a small town in southeastern Minnesota.  I used to go there as a kid and I thought the husband would enjoy it.

Pit stop in my hometown for some delicious hole-in-the-wall barbecue:

Pretend that the couple at the order window is us in 30 years.  I will want that stylin' straw hat.


A heaping pile o' barbecue for the husband and a cheeseburger and pink lemonade shaved ice for me.  In my youth, I ate about 237 of these.

Onto Lanesboro- the cutest li'l town that ever was.

I say that because you need to picture it yourself- I failed to take a single picture of the main street.

First order of business was to hop on the bike trail and head east to the next town over, "famous" for its...

pies.  You can't tell, but the building actually says "WORLD FAMOUS PIES."

Never heard of Whalan, MN?  Yep.

The line for pie was out the door.  I'm not even a pie person really, but hey, I had just biked a whopping four miles (heh), and the place is "famous," so yeah.
A slice of triple berry, please.  Upside down shot.  It was really really good.  Too bad we got the second to late slice.  All those people in the above picture probably got stuck with banana cream.


Some river fishing along the way back.  The guy on the right may have the fishing outfit & gear of a champion, but the guy on the left has the heart of a champion.  He even caught a li'l trout.  Me = eat pie, him = catch fish.  We understand each other.

We ate dinner at a restaurant that was literally on the river.


This might be the one and only time when I out-eat my husband.  One giant walleye filet?  Yes please.  



 We stayed at "The Historic Scanlan House" bed & breakfast, which I'm pretty sure makes us bona fide adults.
We had the Victorian suite.  It was pretty cool.  Even though all 10 of the guests had to sit at the same dining table for breakfast, we did pretty well with the whole small-talk-with-strangers-while-we-eat-quiche thing.  I can hang with the 50+ crowd.

Great weekend overall.  Happy to have reached year #2 and looking forward to what adventures the next twelve months will bring.



No comments:

Post a Comment