Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Milestones

This is my 100th post!

(Silence while waiting for balloons to drop from the ceiling and confetti to spray).

I really can't say it's been a challenge to write and post new recipes and food info.  For me, it comes naturally.

A larger accomplishment, occurring this past weekend, was our first anniversary of marriage.

(Seriously- can I get just ONE balloon?)

Without trying to sound smug, being married to my husband is really easy.  With knocking on wood and fingers crossed, we'll breeze through another 49+ years.

We started our celebrating on Saturday out on the lake.  For dinner we re-created our wedding menu: beef brisket, potato salad, and green beans.  And a random can of baked beans too.  Part of my husband's gift to me was also trying to re-create the table scape.
And for dessert- our cake topper, which survived the past year really well. 
One year of marriage?  That's nothing.  Going a whole year without digging into the giant chunk of red velvet in the freezer?  A true feat. 

The next morning we went golfing at the course adjacent to our house.
Last stop was the State Fair.  More of my husband's thing. 
Nothing quite like a Chicago dog at 8:30 a.m.
With deep fried lamb testicles for dessert.
We didn't get any of this but I had to take a picture.  Poutine is a dish combining deep fried cheese curds, French fries, and gravy.  I hope they also have an AED inside the booth for the heart attacks that will no doubt be caused by such a monstrosity. 
Sweet Martha's cookies.  90 calories per cookie, and a serving (according to Martha) is about 20 cookies.  Fortunately the gut-ache sets in well before you ever see the bottom of the cone.
Next year for our anniversary I want to get a baby chick.  Sure I'll have no interest once it grows up, but for a few weeks, it'll be awesome and adorable. 

Milestones don't have to be large-scale accomplishments or super-human feats.  It's okay to acknowledge the little everyday things that you achieve.  Like spending a weekend together.  Like sharing another new recipe.  Like just taking time to live in peaceful moment with the one you love.  








 

No comments:

Post a Comment